This cake is a very delicious birthday tradition. It is worth the time and hassle.
3 layers Double Chocolate Cake (recipe follows)
…Ice Cream Filling (recipe follows)
Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
1. Alternately layer chocolate cake and ice cream filling, with cake layers on the bottom and top. Place in freezer while preparing the glaze.
2. Spoon glaze on top of cake. Store in freezer until just before serving time.
3. To store more than a few hours, wrap well, but try to keep wrapping from glaze on top. Will keep for several weeks. Makes 1 three-layer cake.
Double Chocolate Cake
½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 ¼ cups unsifted enriched all-purpose flour (spoon into cup and level with knife)
1/3 cup cocoa
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon iodized salt
1 ½ cups (1 one-pound can) canned chocolate-flavored syrup
½ cup water
1. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
2. Thoroughly stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; combine chocolate syrup and water in a separate bowl. Alternate adding in chocolate mixture and dry mixture to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
3. Pour batter into 3 wax paper-lined (bottoms only) 9-inch round cake pans. Bake in preheated 350-degree over for 18 to 20 minutes, or until they test done with a toothpick.
4. Cool in pans 8 minutes on racks; remove from pans and cool thoroughly on racks. Wrap each layer separately in foil; freeze several hours.
Ice Cream Filling
1 quart of vanilla or your favorite flavor ice cream
Line two 9-inch round cake pans with aluminum foil; chill in freezer. Soften ice cream slightly and place half the ice cream in each pan; cover and freeze. Peel off foil to use.
3 tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1. Combine cocoa, water, corn syrup and butter or margarine in a small, heavy saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until mixture begins to boil and becomes somewhat thick.
2. Remove from heat; add sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth with a wooded spoon. Spoon over top of cake.
Read Full Post »